A Small Works Approach
The value of these projects can vary – for example a university delivering £100,000 student accommodation refurbishment, followed by a new build science lab extension and extended car parking. Projects are often variable but can be a few or many in number.
At Speller Metcalfe, our Small Works division is able to deliver this type of work through one project team who act as a single point of contact for clients. As its name suggests, the Small Works team specialise in projects that are generally of a lesser value to our Major Works division but can often be more complex and specialist in nature.
Examples of on-going works for our clients that have been procured through a range of tender processes include:
- Construction of a two-storey office extension;
- Single storey extension to form new electricity substation and associated electrical works;
- Replacement of gates and associated external works;
- Upgrading HV & LV distribution equipment, provision of standby generator and associated builder’s works;
- Refurbishment of Controlling Offices, Director’s Suite, Manufacturing Office and Purchasing Office.
A series of contracts competitively tendered on behalf of the University:
- Refurbishment of existing lecture theatre and toilets;
- Refurbishment of existing toilets and bookshop into new toilets;
- Refurbishment of student accommodation block;
- Refurbishment of the Pierson Library;
- Refurbishment of the dining Hall in the Edward Elgar Building;
- Refurbishment of Directorate Corridor in the Edward Elgar Building;
- Design and build of the student union.
SWINDON DESIGNER OUTLET
Initially, Small Works was contracted to undertake enabling works including erection of temporary building. Following the success of this contract we were asked to stay on site to complete:
- Steel work to the roofs for conditioning plant;
- Refitting and moving 6 retail units from empty shell to shop completion onto new site (whole job lot).
- New build respite and care facilities;
- Two storey care annex extension;
- Two additional bedrooms;
- Additional, curved, single storey extension housing 9 bedrooms, therapy room and offices.
Headed up by Small Works Director Bill Cave, the team has a wealth of experience in managing multi-phased projects, on-going smaller developments and complex schemes for our long established clients. Many of you may remember the completion of the UK’s first Code for Sustainable Homes Level 6 and Passivhaus combined property in the UK – a multi award-winning eco vicarage built for the Diocese of Worcester, or the prestigious Michael Baker Boathouse with its prow overlooking the River Severn and winner of a RIBA award – both testament to the Small Work’s team ability to deliver complex, industry-leading schemes.
Our high levels of repeat business have been acknowledged by clients as our ability not only to deliver high quality facilities, but from site to office, our teams on the ground that create positive, lasting relationships through clear communication and willingness to go the extra mile and help our clients understand and translate their vision for their end-users.