The Old Court House
Harrison Brookes Architects
This project follows a series of successful contracts for private client William Rucker to restore and remodel a variety of buildings on the estate. The Old Courthouse is a Grade II listed building which is made up of a basement and three further storeys, dating from 1510.
The disused building has been being remodelled into a 4-5 bedroom house with many elements such as wattle and daub walls being replaced while the old character is retained (such as use of oak pegs and existing usable timber frames).
Following the completion of renovation works the downhill stream is used to funnel water to introduce a pool and reed bed to provide habitat for the local ecology.
In total eight plots are being restored with scope for further buildings on the estate, which include a timber frame barn, farmhouse and linking buildings and provision for a swimming pool.
The Old Court House took home three awards at the 2018 RIBA West Midlands awards, including Project Architect of the Year, West Midlands Award and West Midlands Conservation Award.
The project was shortlisted for Grand Designs ‘House of the Year 2018’.